Achieve the Unthinkable: Stories of Top Most Indian Startups
When an entrepreneur starts a business, its success depends on various factors. Stories of successful Indian startups and their journey can provide many learnings to new and budding entrepreneurs. Most successful Indian startups have disrupted the market and created a huge impact. We get you case studies of 5 such startups that have become a household name in the last few years.
Founders - Nitin Saluja & Raghav Verma
- The idea started brewing when Nitin Saluja and his wife, while they were in USA, wanted to have a ‘garam cup of chai’ post-dinner, but couldn’t find a place that gave them freshly brewed tea. That’s when the idea struck him.
- 2 years later when Nitin Saluja came back to India and met Raghav Verma. Both had worked together in a software company before.
- Their love for tea and the huge growth opportunity they saw in the market made them start a tea café that will serve ‘apne type ki chai’. They made tea a bit more contemporary so that modern consumers also ordered or came to their café.
- For the next two years, Nitin and Raghav launched a full-fledged market research, and the results only brought them good news.
- That is how Chaayos launched its first cafe in November 2012; since then, the chain has been adding outlets at a rapid pace, with more than 100% growth year-on-year since inception.
2012- Launched their first outlet in Gurugram
In 2015, Chaayos had a total of 15 cafés in the Delhi NCR
2016, it expanded to Mumbai with a total of 33 tea cafés in the country
2018- The number grew to 52 Chaayos cafes
Today, Chaayos operates in six cities with more than 65 cafes making it one of the most successful Indian startup
2. UrbanClap (UrbanCompany)
Founders - Abhiraj Bhal, Varun Khaitan, Raghav Chandra
- UrbanClap is another booming startup that helps its users in finding the right service professionals for the activities required by them. Services such as beauticians, sofa cleaners, carpenters and all kind of technicians are available on this platform.
- Today UrbanClap is available in 4 countries with more than 5 million customers and 25000+ professionals associated with it
- In 2013, two college friends, Abhiraj Bhal and Varun Khaitan decided to quit their jobs and pursue their entrepreneurial dream.
- After launching their first venture Cinema Box, which failed miserably, they met their third wheel Raghav Chandra
- The three of them together pooled in Rs10 lakh each to set up UrbanClap, which was incorporated in December 2014
- From being a mere search and discovery platform, UrbanClap went on build a business model that included on-boarding service providers, training them, & managing quality control
3. Wow Momo Foods
Founders- Sagar Daryani and Binod Kumar Homagai
- Wow Momo which started with an investment of just Rs. 30,000 now valued at more than 100 crores. Like many other successful Indian startups, Wow Momo was also born out of the love for eating momos and making it an organized business idea.
- Sagar started experimenting with different momo combination and when he discussed the idea with Binod, he jumped at the opportunity
- Wow Momo was born in 2018, from a small kitchen with 1 table and 2 temporary employees in Kolkata.
- As they started getting a positive response from the customers, in 2010 they opened their first independent store
- Today they have more than 95+ outlets all over India
4. Urban Ladder
Founders: Ashish Goel and Rajiv Srivatsa
- After working for top corporates both Ashish and Rajiv were looking out for online opportunities to start their entrepreneurial venture
- Around that time they had bought new flats next to each other and had a very bad experience while buying furniture for their house. They could not find one decent platform from where they could order furniture of their choice with variety on display
- After some market research & thinking through, this duo gave birth to their startup- Urban Ladder
- It started in 2012 as a 10-member team out of a house in Bengaluru
- After 8 years, they are present in 17-states, providing the best quality & service. What began as a simple idea has prospered into one of the most successful Indian startups
Founders: Nandan Reddy, Rahul Jaimini, & Sriharsha Majety
- Launched only 4 years ago, Swiggy today is one of India’s fastest-growing internet companies and one of the most successful Indian startups in recent times
- Nandan & Sriharsha had already faced a failure with their first startup, later they met Rahul and the three of them started Swiggy- an online food delivery platform in 2014
- They built a proper logistic network & convinced restaurant owners to partner with them. Soon they had over 100 restaurants onboard and were delivering over 70,000 orders on a monthly basis
- 2016 was slightly rough for them but with the help of VC funding and the startup was back on its feet
- Disruptive ideas, innovation such has cloud kitchen and a sound customer experience got more and more investors interested in the company
- Today Swiggy has access to more than 50000 restaurants in 50 cities
These successful Indian startups are just a few of the fishes in the big pond comprising of many new ventures. The milestones achieved by them are no easy feat and each one's journey has a unique takeaway for our business owners. Get inspired, aim for the stars as nothing is impossible!